Sunday, June 22, 2014

Frugal Summertime Fun

Lexington grows on me more and more every year.  A large part of that is our "framily" that lives here.  Each year we grow another year closer to one another.  Each year contains something new.  Sickness, death, babies, more babies.  Lately babies have been the story.  I couldn't begin to imagine leaving these people I love so dearly.  
Another piece of my love for Lexington has everything to do with the city itself.  Lexington is big enough to have offerings for everyone, yet small enough to still feel like home.  After talking to my "framily" members recently it occurred to me that I do not take advantage of enough of Lexington.  I have a tendency to stay in my little corner, my little pie piece (Lexington is laid out like a giant pie...another great reason to love it...who doesn't love pie?). 
As we were looking forward to the summer and making plans, I knew I would need to get the kiddos out of the house often.  If Tempie stays at home for more than 6 hours straight, she begins to whine and ask..."when can we get out of the house?"  Funny coming from my reserved introvert.  Interestingly enough, my extroverted charmer would just as soon be at home than anywhere else.  However, as long as he's with the ones he loves...or with people at all...he's fine.  So, getting out of the house is on our agenda.  But...so is saving money...hmm.  Dilemma. 
We were all getting a little bored with our usual free places to go.  So I came up with the idea to visit a new park in Lexington each Friday (a little routine in there to please my eldest's need for schedule).  There are so many amazing parks in Lexington, and we stick to the ones within a mile radius of us.  Bert informed me yesterday that there are over 100 parks in Lexington.  100!!  Now, I'm looking for parks that will suit my 4, 2 and 8 month old children.  So playgrounds are pretty essential.  So far we have made it to three new parks.  We are enjoying it very much!  
This past Friday while enjoying a park with some friends, one issued a challenge to me.  It didn't come out like a challenge, it went something like this:

LB: "Hey, you should...wait nevermind...I'm not even going to say it..."
me:  "What?"
LB:  "I was going to say that you should blog about your visiting the parks.  Give reviews on each one, etc.  But you have no time to blog."
LS:  "Yeah, that would be a great resource for people."

Now, you can see that with my stubborn personality how that came out like a challenge.  Everything she said would be true.  I don't have time to blog.  It would be a great resource.  It may be crazy to try.  But try I will.  

Be looking for the first few posts soon.  I already have three to review!

No comments:

Post a Comment