Thursday, January 28, 2010

Prayers for Haiti

I have a friend who grew up in an Orphanage in Carrefour, Haiti, which is very close to the epicenter of the earthquake. He is in the States now studying engineering at the University of Kentucky. So naturally we have been praying for Haiti a lot. Especially the children of this orphanage. The name of the Orphanage is the Good Shepherd Orphange. This is their website if you'd like to check them out http://gsohaiti.org/index.php. My students have been taking mission trips there over the past year and plan to return in March. It can be so hard to pray over situations like this one where the loss and the devastation seem beyond hope. I found a prayer to pray over these kids the other day while Temperance and I were doing our daily Bible reading.

We read an Old Testament story and a New Testament story most every day.
* Side note: She LOVES her Bible!!! I am so very excited and hope this is a life long love.*
I have learned as much through our daily Bible readings as I have from my own quiet times. I have been able to see so many connections between the Old Testament stories and the New Testament ones. I'm not sure if the editor of this Bible did this intentionally. Well, sometime last week we were reading and the Old Testament story was of God providing manna and quail for the Israelites while they were in the desert, and the New Testament story was of Jesus feeding the five thousand. It inspired me to pray for the children of the Good Shepherd Orphanage (and others in Haiti who are also hungry) that they would be able to say that they have truly been fed by the hand of God! While this is a terrible tragedy and nothing is worth the loss of so many lives, I do hope and pray that God is making believers out of this situation. Believers because they have seen the hand of God in the midst of such tragedy. I am praying for miracles to happen and for God to get the glory for them. I know God gets many questions and doubters out of situations like this, and I'm not blaming anyone for doubting. If there ever were a cause to doubt...this would be one of them. But I choose to believe that there is more than I can see or understand. And I am praying that He will get as much glory as he gets groans out of this situation.
Lord may you raise up missionaries out of the Good Shepherd Orphanage. Missionaries who don't even have to go far. Just children who grow into adults with full faith in you, and the urgency to share it with everyone they meet. Always remembering that in 2010 they were fed by the hand of God.

3 comments:

  1. Amen. There is really nothing more to add. Give my best to Chrispin

    ReplyDelete
  2. God will do great things in Haiti. We just have to trust in His faithfulness and love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a group from church coming back today...I can donate a little, but I praise God that I can pray alot!

    ReplyDelete